Buying a vehicle: how to activate the policy
When you buy a car and change of ownership takes place, all owners are obliged to subscribe to the Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance, which is necessary to compensate any damage caused to third parties while driving.
Whether it is a new or used car, the motorist can request the transfer of the policy to his own insurance company or decide to take out a new one, as long as he complies with some simple procedures and provides all the necessary documentation. L’Risk certificate, valid, is the pass for a smooth management of the practice.
Buying or changing a car: how to activate the policy
You have just bought a new car and want to keep the same one insurance policy or do you simply want to transfer the RC Auto from one vehicle to another already in your possession? To do this, you have two options: transfer the insurance policy or change company. If you simply want to transfer the car insurance while staying with the same insurance company, the operation is very simple and does not involve the stipulation of a new contract. Transferring the insurance policy from one vehicle to another guarantees you of remain in the same class of merit, but you must own both vehicles (old and new). In order to activate the new policy it is necessary to present some documents:
- proof of the alienation of the vehicle (deed of sale, scrapping, theft, etc.)
- insurance certificate of the old car;
- booklet of the vehicle to which the new policy is to be transferred.
The policy transfer is immediate and some insurance companies also allow you to do so online, through your personal profile.
1. The price of the policy
Italian insurance companies offer car liability policies that adapt to different profiles and are placed in different ranges: the amount of premiums varies according to the company and also to numerous technical parameters:
- Vehicle data: more powerful cars correspond to higher costs, but not only that, even the car model can correspond to a more or less high risk of incurring an accident;
- Personal data: age, driving experience, residence, license points and other factors such as the use of the car and the number of drivers who will use the vehicle;
- Insurance data: the history of the car, the number of accidents caused over the years, determine the virtuosity of a driver.
2. The documents to be provided
The information that must be released to insurance companies, or comparators such as Facile.it, to purchase the car insurance I’m:
- Personal data: to understand the driver’s experience and therefore the degree of reliability on the roads;
- Declaration of permanent residence: only in the event that it is decided to apply the Bersani law;
- Car data: the license plate number, thepreparation of the car and the use of the vehicle.
3. The class of merit
The merit class is the insured’s position assigned by the insurance company. If you buy a new or used car, it can be attributed in three different ways:
- Bersani Law: it will be possible to inherit the class of merit of a cohabiting family member within 12 months of purchasing the car. In this case it will be necessary to communicate personal data and those of the car.
- 14th class: you can start from the base class, that is the 14th, by presenting data of the car and the owner.
- Continuity: taking advantage of the class of merit already possessed previously, for continuity it can be maintained the same, presenting data of the car, of the owner and of the Bersani Law.
4. Bersani Law: the advantages
The Bersani Law, or Law No. 248 of August 4, 2006, represents a concrete saving opportunity for the members of a family unit, recognized by the Family Status, which they can acquire the same class of merit as a vehicle already insured by the same person or by a cohabiting family member.
To take advantage of the benefits reserved for cohabiting family members, the vehicle must be of the same category as the one from which it will inherit the class of merit (example: yes auto-car, no auto-motorcycle), and must not have already been insured by the new owner. Furthermore, the merit class can only be inherited from an active policy.
If the parameters are respected, to have the class of merit recognized with the Bersani Law it will be sufficient to go to the insurance company with the copy of the Family Status, the risk certificate of the person from whom you want to inherit the class of merit, the booklet of circulation and the change of ownership of the vehicle to be insured.
5. Insurance and new drivers
In the past theinsurance for new patent holders struggling with the first car represented an almost prohibitive cost. Today the widespread decline in premiums, solutions specifically designed by the companies and the advantages of the Bersani Law allow novice drivers to take advantage of more advantageous conditions.
Restrictions for novice drivers: for the first 12 months after obtaining the license, new drivers cannot drive cars with a power / tare ratio higher than 55 kW / t, and with an absolute power higher than 70 kW. skillful.
How is the specific power (PS) of the vehicle calculated?
The power expressed in kW is divided by the tare weight of the vehicle expressed in tons: the data can be obtained from the registration certificate. Example: for a car of 46 kW and tare 900 kg we will get the following result: 46 / 0.9 = 51.1 kW / t
The car falls within the 55 kW / t limit, so it can be driven by a novice driver.
6. New or used car: what changes?
Thanks to the economic crisis, the used car market in Italy is constantly growing. If with the used car you save on the cost of the car, from the moment of transfer of ownership you risk falling into a series of expenses not contemplated in the case of a new car, especially if you do not have a insurance history behind.
- New car: in addition to having to provide all the information described in point 2, since there is no previous insurance history, we will proceed from scratch. You can take advantage of the Bersani Law, within 12 months of purchase, while alternatively you can choose to start from 14th class.
- Used car: if you buy a used car, for insure the second car, after having made the change of ownership, the value of the RC car will depend on the characteristics of the vehicle and the new driver. Also in this case, it will be possible to take advantage of the Bersani Law within 12 months of purchase, starting from the 14th class or taking advantage of the continuity of the previous class, if you already own a car.
In general, with the used one you spend more on the policy: an old vehicle is more exposed to mechanical failures and not at the forefront of safety, therefore insurance companies consider it more predisposed to dangerous situations and accidents.
I have a new car but I also want to keep the old one: what do I do?
In case you buy a car while keeping the previous one in circulation it is possible to take advantage of the Bersani Law: the second car can inherit on the insurance the merit class of the vehicle it already owns.
What should be done? It depends on casuistry: in the event that a car is purchased without keeping the old one, with the registration deed the ownership will be transferred to the new vehicle, therefore a policy replacement on the new number plate, if instead you buy a car and keep the old one in circulation then the “new” Car Insurance will enjoy benefits of the Bersani law.
7. I have not renewed the RC car: can I keep the merit class?
First, the driver must know that the system bonus Malus provides for the maintaining the class of merit acquired, even in the case of a change of vehicle or insurance company. To determine the class of merit, in fact, is a document called Risk certificate, issued by the old company at the request of the customer or, from the abolition of tacit renewal, obligatorily about 1 month before the expiry of the policy RC car. The document contains the identification data of the motorist and his insurance history, such as the universal merit class or CU that the insurance assigns on the basis of standard criteria, recognized by the various companies.
The risk certificate remains valid for 5 years
In case of non-renewal of the car insurance, termination of the contract, scrapping and demolition, vehicle given on consignment to the dealer, sold, transferred or exported abroad, within this period of time the motorist will be recognized the same class of merit indicated in the document, whether you decide to reinsure the same vehicle, or a new or used car and also on rental or leasing with a contract exceeding 12 months. To insure a new car while maintaining the class of merit, it is necessary to prove that the old car is no longer in circulation by presenting the documentation certifying its sale or scrapping. The case of the sales account is different, for which the insurance company will indicate the procedure to follow.